While studying the Britishand Australian variant sof the English language one cannot ice that thedifferences in grammar are not so numerous as the ones in the sphere of phonetics. These peculiarities are necessary to be analyzed not to make phonetic mistakes leading to intercultural phonetic interference. Inter cultural phonetic interference can be defined asincorrect pronunciation of sounds of the foreign language and their substitution by the sounds of the native one. Thus, we distinguish five major phonetic peculiarities in the Australian variant of English.
1) There are three variants of pronunciation: General, Cultivated and Broad. Their differences donot lead tothe complexity of the communicative process but they serve to define the social status of the speaker.Forexample, one of the peculiarities of the Broad dialect is the substitution of the vowel sound [i] at the end of the word into the neutral sound [ǝ].
2) The vowel system of the Australian variant of English differsalotandit has the feature of the system shift. The general tendency of the shift can be defined as the shift to more closed sounds of the front row. The dipht hong sareapt to turninto the monophthongs. The glide become sweaker but the nucleusis longer.
3) Ther hythmof the Australian speechis clearer and smoot her thanin the British variant. It occursdue to the fact that the contrast between the stressed and unstressed syllab lesis lower in the Australian variant of the English language.
4) The intonation of the Australian variant of English is characterized by not sosharp rises and falls of the intonation in one and the same statement. Thus the intonation of the British variant of the language seems to be more emotional and bright .
5) Aspecific feature of the articulation system of the Australian variant of Englishis its weaker labialization of the Australian sounds which is determined by rather weak work of the lips.
Библиографическая ссылкаMarkelova A.A., Vorobets L.V. PHONETIC PECULIARITIES OF THE AUSTRALIAN VARIANT OF ENGLISH // Международный журнал экспериментального образования. – 2014. – № 6-2. – С. 78-79;
URL: http://expeducation.ru/ru/article/view?id=5186 (дата обращения: 16.07.2020).